Ohio businesses gear up for sports betting for the New Year; almost 1500 sports game organizers approved

January 1, 2023 is the date that casinos, bars, restaurants and bookmakers have celebrated since the passage of Act 29 of the Ohio House of Representatives.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — On New Year’s Day, sporting events will have a greater meaning as sports gambling will be officially legalized in Ohio.

January 1, 2023 is the date that casinos, bars, restaurants and bookmakers have celebrated since the passage of Act 29 of the Ohio House of Representatives.

Many major sports gambling websites are investing in social media and TV ads to try and get Ohioans to make their first bet.

The Ohio State Lottery Commission is responsible for regulating and approving applications for Type-C sports games. Since the process began, 1,499 locations in Ohio have received pre-approval.

Varsity Club jumped at the opportunity to house a sports gaming kiosk inside.

General manager Tony Mollica says the application fee was $1,000. Mollica hopes fans will be able to place their bets on game day while looking out at the Ohio Stadium.

“You can imagine when you have 100,000 people across the street that thousands of people will walk through,” Mollica said. “I think it will be fun. I think it adds to the atmosphere here.”

Varsity Club already has a lottery, Keno and ATMs.

“I don’t understand why we have something to lose. We are adding a feature to all of our customers. And I think it will be just an addition for us,” Mollica said. “I think there’s something nostalgic about placing a bet, getting a ticket, and then cashing in.”

RELATED: Legal sports betting comes to Ohio in January. Business is counting the days.

Avid sports radio listeners can hear various reports in Ohio on January 1st. Radio partner 10TV 97.1 The Fan includes spreads on every show.

Anthony Rothman, host of Rothman and Ice, on weekdays from noon to 3:00 pm, said that they prepared all the shows at The Fan for a year.

“What we didn’t do before was not join the bookmaker because legally we couldn’t do that. Now we can,” Rothman said. “Each show on the fan will be linked to a different sportsbook that will advertise what they offer on their different parlays, different stalls, what are the odds on that gaming site.”

Rothmans said new sports gamblers will be able to pick up the terminology and strategies once they’re in the mood.

“We love to place bets, what if you place them, what would it be like? And we’d like to do that with teams that people follow because I think people want us to do their homework for them.” Rothman said. “If you bet $10 on the Buckeyes and the Cincinnati Bengals to win their respective championships, you get five and a half to one.

“I think people find it interesting. And it might attract them. I’m not trying to get people involved, but by giving them this information, it can stimulate them…you know what, I’d bet on it. and now they can actually do it.”

The new format of The Fan starts on the first of the year.

Where Will Ohio Sports Gambling Proceeds Go?

Under House Bill 29, tens of millions of dollars are expected to be raised.

The Ohio Department of Taxation says 98% of net proceeds will go towards funding interscholastic sports, other extracurricular activities for children, and gambling-related resources. The remaining 2% is for additional gambling support.

If you or a loved one has a gambling problem, call 800-589-9966 or visit the Problem Gamblers Resources website.

Content Source

News Press Ohio – Latest News:
Columbus Local News || Cleveland Local News || Ohio State News || National News || Money and Economy News || Entertainment News || Tech News || Environment News

Related Articles

Back to top button