Fort Worth: More Than $100,000 In Grants Awarded To Local Artists
Fort Worth, Texas – Fine Line Group, the family offices of Sasha and Edward P. Bass, announced more than $100,000 in grants awarded through The New Normal: An Artist’s Response to COVID-19.
Following a competitive application process and juried review of artwork submitted by more than 200 applicants, 43 local artists were selected to receive funding for new works that reflect life in Fort Worth during the pandemic.
The New Normal is a first-of-its-kind funding initiative designed to achieve multiple goals: empowering local artists to work, creating a lasting visual record of this unprecedented time and bringing the people of Fort Worth together to share, process and heal through art that reflects their experience during the pandemic.
Applicants to The New Normal submitted a personal statement previewing the work they intend to create and explaining how through their art, they will make a lasting positive impact on the community. A panel reviewed and scored the applications. The top 43 received $2,000 grants to fund their proposed artwork. Of those, the six artists with the highest scores received an additional $3,000 award.
Examples of artwork funded by The New Normal include:
- Short films about the community’s experience of current events and how people persevere and sustain hope.
- Public murals that the community will be invited to help create.
- A dance performance that will visit all the neighborhoods of Fort Worth.
- Portrait projects that capture the diverse faces of Fort Worth.
- Paintings inspired by crowd-sourced commentary and storytelling.
The program will culminate in a public exhibition of grant recipients’ work. Given the current circumstances and continued uncertainty around future public gatherings, the timing of the exhibition will be confirmed at a later date.