Baseball Hall of Famer’s daughter accused of abandoning newborn baby in 15-degree cold woods

The baseball Hall of Famer’s daughter was arrested after giving birth in the woods amid freezing temperatures and misleading police about the location of the abandoned baby, officials said.

Alexandra Eckersley, 26, was arrested Monday on charges that she abandoned her newborn baby in a tent “without heat and proper clothing in the woods” in cold 15-degree weather, according to indictment documents.

She is the daughter of Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher and longtime Red Sox announcer Dennis Eckersley, the baseball player’s spokesman confirmed that NBC Boston.

Eckersley called 911 just before 00:30 on Monday, saying she gave birth in the woods in Manchester and police, along with firefighters and medical personnel, arrived on the scene and searched for the baby to no avail, according to the arrest statement.

Given the dire circumstances and extreme cold, a K-9 state police unit joined the search in an attempt to find “what they thought was the body at the time,” the affidavit says.

Nearly an hour later, Eckersley, described as homeless, “revealed the child’s true whereabouts and brought officers to the area.” the police said.

The baby was found “alive and moving” in a large canvas tent at the campsite. The child was found lying on the ground next to the bed behind a blanket and was hospitalized.

The affidavit states that an hour and 13 minutes elapsed from the time the 911 was called to the time the child was found.

Court documents show the baby was likely born prematurely on Christmas Day and weighed 4.41 pounds.

According to court documents, the doctor told police that the size of the baby was consistent with Eckersley being six months pregnant at the time of delivery.

Eckersley told detectives that she was in pain on Christmas Day and believed she was constipated or bleeding. She told the ambulance crew she had “no idea” she was pregnant, the affidavit says.

However, a week before, she had told a confidant that she was four or five months pregnant, according to sworn testimony.

When asked why she left after giving birth, she replied “that she didn’t know what to do,” the statement said.

The responding officer believed that she was under the influence of drugs, stating that “Eckersley was sometimes unsteady on her feet and that she tossed from side to side.”

Another officer also stated in an affidavit that it appears she may have been under the influence of some form of drug. She admitted to this officer that she used cocaine and marijuana, but said that she had last used these substances two days earlier.

Eckersley eventually told detectives that she had given birth, and she and her boyfriend left the tent and walked across a nearby footbridge to wait for an ambulance. She said she tried several times to call 911, but the calls didn’t get through.

When asked by the officer why she did not take the child with her, she replied: “What do they tell you when the plane crashes? Save yourself first,” the sworn letter says.

She admitted that she and her boyfriend agreed to tell the police that the birth took place in another area so that the police would not find and take away their tents, the affidavit says.

According to documents filed with Hillsborough Supreme Court.

She appeared in court from her hospital bed by phone on Tuesday and was ordered to leave her on $3,000 bail, according to NBC Boston.

Her lawyer argued in court on Tuesday that Eckersley was injured.

Content Source

Dallas Press News – Latest News:
Dallas Local News || Fort Worth Local News | Texas State News || Crime and Safety News || National news || Business News || Health News

Related Articles

Back to top button