A Florida man suspected of killing a woman earlier Wednesday returned to the scene in the afternoon and shot four more people, killing a 9-year-old child and a TV news journalist, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
According to Sheriff John Mina, a Spectrum News 13 film crew was in Pine Hills around 4:00 p.m. covering the death of a 20-year-old woman who was found shot to death in the area around 11:00 a.m.
Keith Melvin Moses, a 19-year-old suspect in the earlier murder, returned to the scene and opened fire on a reporter and photographer who were in or near the car, one of whom later died, Mina said.
Moses then went to a nearby house, went inside and shot the mother and her 9-year-old child, the sheriff said. The child is dead.
Moses is facing charges for the woman’s death on Wednesday morning and will later face charges for four other shootings, Mina said.
“The suspect is not saying much right now,” Mina said. “It’s not clear if he knew it was the media or not.”
Mina said there was no obvious connection between Moses and the mother and child shot Wednesday afternoon.
According to him, the woman previously found dead was familiar with the suspect.
The suspect, “as far as we know, had nothing to do with the journalists, or with the mother, or with the 9-year-old child,” Mina said. “We don’t know why he entered this house.”
According to Mina, Moses is responsible for all five shootings. According to Mina, he was armed with a pistol, and investigators believe that he was in question.
According to Mina, the child’s mother and another shot journalist are in critical condition.
According to Mina, the previous murder took place inside a vehicle, and detectives identified Moses as a suspect and were away when the later shooting took place.
According to Mina, Moses was arrested in the area after the later shooting.
“As soon as they took him in, homicide detectives who knew him from a previous case said, ‘Yes, this is the same guy from the earlier murder,’” Mina said.